Warning: Use of undefined constant user_level - assumed 'user_level' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /homepages/13/d121821522/htdocs/guitar/wp-content/plugins/ultimate-google-analytics/ultimate_ga.php on line 524
I have decided to start a new “series” of sorts, here at Guitar Musings. Along with giving you my thoughts and recommendations on new CD’s that I have purchased, I will also grab some music from my collection and let you know what I think. Why should all recommendations come from new releases when there is so much music to explore that has been around for years?
My first selection is Bruce Cockburn’s “Speechless.” I chose Bruce because it was his playing that inspired me to study fingerstyle guitar with his signature alternating bass lines with that unwavering thumb and his melodies continue to make my draw drop. Speechless came out in 2005 and is a collection of his instrumentals throughout his almost 40 year career. I think every song on this release is wonderful but here are some of my favorites.
- Rouler Sa Bosse: He has been performing this live quite a bit now. Took me over a year to get that sucker down.
- Sunrise on the Mississippi: Great blues tune. A great example of how his thumb is independent from his entire body. Make you feel like you’re on the front porch down south with some of the old greats.
- Deep Lake: Slow meditative song that reminds me of a trip I took to the English River in Canada.
- Water Into Wine and Sunwheel Dance: Both of these songs are perfect examples of his mastery of fingerstyle guitar. There is so much happening in these songs, you sometimes wonder if there is someone playing with him.
- Mistress of Storms: Another “thumb” song but he adds vibes to this for a more jazzy feel. If you can get a hold of him doing this live, get it! His improv is incredible.
Links of Interest: